Spaghetti Bolognese is generally prepared with ground beef. But I am not fond of beef. Hence, I tried cooking it with minced lamb. I added some fennel bulbs and rosemary for the flavor. Voila! What a taste I got! My kids and hubby were asking how did you make this and I said it is a secret! Now I am sharing my secret with you so that you can also prepare this not-so-traditional but delicious Bolognese.
Spaghetti Bolognese With Minced Lamb, Rosemary, And Fennel
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Serves – 4 people
- Spaghetti – 350 gm (You can use the gluten-free variety as well for making it healthier)
- Lamb – 500 gm, minced
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Olives – 10, cut into halves
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Fennel – 2 blubs, chopped and core detached
- Rosemary – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Tomato – 2 cans, 400 gm each
- Parmesan cheese – 1 cup, grated
- Salt – to taste
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling water till it becomes tender. Keep aside in a bowl when done and remove the extra water.
- Now take a pan and put it on the medium flame. Pour the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the minced lamb and add some salt. Cook for about 10 minutes till the lamb starts to become brownish. It should be dry.
- Next, add the tomatoes, olives, rosemary, garlic, and fennel to the lamb mince. Mix everything well and cook for about 10 minutes. You can use a spatula to smash the tomatoes. Reduce the flame and simmer for around 15 minutes so that you get a thick lamb sauce.
- Pour this sauce on the cooked spaghetti. Sprinkle the shredded cheese in ample quantity over it and serve.
Spaghetti Chicken Bolognese
Another recipe that I tried is with minced chicken. It is delicious and good for health as I used whole-wheat spaghetti.
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
- Spaghetti, whole-wheat – 1 packet
- Minced chicken – 400 gm
- Chicken broth – 250 ml
- Chopped onion – 1
- Tomato puree – 4 tbsp
- Chopped carrots and celery – 1 each
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Chopped tomatoes – 1 tin
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Dried oregano – ¼ tsp
- Chopped basil – a handful
- Salt and pepper – for seasoning
- Parmesan – for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic and the vegetables. Fry for some time and add the chicken. Sprinkle salt, oregano, and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes so that all the veggies and chicken are cooked well.
- Now mix the tomato ketchup and puree and also pour the tinned tomatoes. Give them a good mix and cook on low flame till everything mixes and gives a nice aromatic thick sauce.
- Cook the whole-wheat spaghetti as per the instructions written on the packet. When it is done, drain the water and transfer the spaghetti on a serving plate.
- Pour the sauce on the top. Garnish with shredded cheese and chopped basil.