If you are looking for an Italian recipe, that is both unique as well as utterly delicious, try cannelloni. In traditional Italian cuisine, this cylindrical shaped lasagna is filled with loads of cheese along with spinach and covered with an aromatic sauce before baking. Both the sauce and the cheese filling make this dish extremely palatable. So, whether it is a weekend party or just a family meal, you can try this recipe and astonish your family and friends. Though this dish is purely vegetarian, believe me, your non-veg friends or meat-loving husband will fall in love with it once they taste it.
Cheesy Vegetarian Cannelloni With Spinach
Preparation time – 50 minutes
Cooking time – 40 minutes
Serves – 10 people
For Making Tomato Sauce
- Chopped tomatoes – 4 cans, 400 gm each
- Caster sugar – 3tbsp
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 8 cloves, crushed
- Red wine vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Basil – handful
- Salt – for seasoning
- Cannelloni – 400 gm
- Spinach – 1 kg
- Parmesan – 100 gm, grated
- Ricotta – 750 gm
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
For Topping Preparation
- Mozzarella cheese – 250 gm, sliced
- Parmesan cheese – 85 gm
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Mascarpone – 500 gm tub
Prepare The Tomato Sauce
- Put a pan over medium flame and heat the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the crushed garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Now add the sugar, tomatoes, basil, and vinegar. Sprinkle some salt and stir them till the tomatoes are soft, and you get a thick sauce.
- Take two ovenproof baking dishes and pour the sauce into them.
Prepare Mascarpone Sauce
- Take a bowl and add the mascarpone and milk in it. Now with a hand blender beat them till you get a creamy mixture. Once done, set it aside.
Preparing The Spinach Filling
- Blanch the spinach leaves a little and chopped them and transfer into a bowl. Mix the ricotta and parmesan with the chopped spinach, add some salt, nutmeg powder, and pepper. Mix with a spoon.
- Preheat the oven at 200-degree centigrade.
- Take the filling in a piping bag and fill each cannelloni tube with the filling. Keep the spinach filled tubes on the tomato sauce filled baking dish and add the mascarpone sauce over it. Cover it with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Put the baking dish into the oven and bake for about half an hour. One the top cheese layer starts to become brownish and bubble, take it out.
An important thing that you should note is you can keep the baking dish into the refrigerator after topping with mozzarella and parmesan in uncooked condition. You can cook it when needed. Else, you can bake it as soon as the preparation is done and then keep it in the refrigerator for having later.
- You can make it with ground beef, loads of cheese, bread, tomatoes, and béchamel sauce to taste the authentic non-vegetarian Italian cannelloni.
- Do you like a lamb? Then make this dish with minced lamb, celery, and red wine and amaze your non-veg friends.